Maximize steam efficiency, safety, and cost savings with preventative maintenance
Improve the efficiency and safety of steam systems with steam trap inspections by Vicinity’s qualified technicians. Our team will diagnose and identify issues to keep steam systems operating safely and efficiently 24/7.
Steam traps are critical components of steam systems and play a vital role in maintaining their efficiency and safety. Steam traps collect condensate to prevent corrosion caused by built-up moisture and ensure high-quality, dry steam flows through the steam system. Steam traps also block the escape of live steam, minimizing energy waste. Regular maintenance and monitoring are essential to ensure they function correctly and prevent issues that can lead to energy waste, equipment damage, and safety hazards.
Vicinity’s steam trap inspections offer the following benefits:
- Reduced energy costs: Steam traps in good condition help conserve steam, reducing energy consumption and operational costs.
- Improved equipment reliability: Properly maintained traps extend the lifespan of steam-related equipment.
- Enhanced safety: Reducing energy waste and water hammer incidents improves workplace safety.
- Environmental benefits: Energy conservation through steam trap maintenance can reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
How it works
Partnering with our customers, Vicinity tailors each approach specifically to the unique needs of the building. The process of performing steam trap inspections typically includes the following steps:
- Vicinity coordinates an initial walkthrough of the building and provides a quote showing the cost and scope of work.
- Once the customer returns a signed quote, Vicinity’s account manager schedules the work.
- A Vicinity technician conducts the steam trap inspection using an ultrasonic digital detector. If this is the first survey, the technician tags and catalogs each trap for future surveys.
- After the inspection, the customer receives a report detailing:
- The status of each trap.
- Recommended action items and the potential savings associated with recommended action items.
Efficiency and system performance
When steam traps fail and steam escapes, systems demand more steam to operate. Steam trap inspections improve the overall operating performance of steam systems, minimizing the amount of energy waste and the associated carbon emissions.
Leaking steam traps result in significant lost capital over the life of the equipment. Analysis by the U.S. Department of Energy and the Boiler Efficiency Institute shows that repairing a faulty steam trap could save thousands of dollars annually. Steam trap inspections represent an opportunity for customers to reduce energy consumption and operating costs.
Safety is our primary focus. With Vicinity’s trained technicians conducting the inspections, customers can rest assured that the proper measures are in place to safely conduct and identify any steam trap hazards that can lead to a water hammer event. A water hammer event occurs when a failed steam trap allows condensate to build in the steam main. As steam passes over and combines with the excess condensate, it creates a pressure event that can lead to undesirable noise, damaged equipment, and—in worst cases—injury.