A carbon-free renewable energy product that is the most cost-effective, reliable way to rapidly decarbonize your building
Accelerating Net Zero Carbon Goals with eSteam™
eSteam™ is Vicinity’s unique and innovative renewable energy product. eSteam™ is carbon-free and offers maximum flexibility to our customers and superior economic benefits compared to alternatives.
Instead of fossil fuels, Vicinity utilizes carbon-free electricity to generate eSteam™ for distribution to its customers. To generate and deliver eSteam™, Vicinity is electrifying its operations by installing electric boilers, industrial-scale heat pumps, and molten salt thermal battery storage. Vicinity will procure electricity from renewable, carbon-neutral energy sources like wind, solar, and hydro.
Our first electric assets will enter service in late 2024, but we are engaging with customers today to make this offer available for delivery in the near future.
What are the Benefits of eSteam™?
Electrification will enable Vicinity to generate steam with a zero-carbon emissions factor. This means that the eSteam™ energy you purchase from Vicinity is green and sustainable.
By using eSteam™, our customers will be able to enjoy many benefits, including:
eSteam™ is district steam with a zero-carbon emissions factor
You choose how much eSteam™ you want, when you want to use it, and the carbon-neutral electricity source to generate it
eSteam™ is the most cost-effective, affordable option to green your building
Vicinity’s operational flexibility means that we can switch fuel and generating sources to avoid interruptions.
Meet Local Building Performance Standards With District Energy
Talk to our team of energy experts today to learn how district energy can help your Boston and Cambridge buildings meet BERDO 2.0 and BEUDO requirements.
Vicinity’s District Energy Electrification Plan
District energy systems are agile and flexible. A fundamental benefit of district energy is that the systems are agnostic to fuel sources; our network uses steam to move energy to our customers. Over the last ~100 years, district energy companies have demonstrated their ability to switch fuels to generate steam from increasingly cleaner sources – from coal to oil to natural gas—and Vicinity is no different. District energy systems are poised to lead through this next energy transition to carbon-free, greener sources to ensure the health and longevity of our communities.
Vicinity has committed to achieving net zero carbon emissions by 2050. The backbone of Vicinity’s decarbonization plan is the rapid electrification of its operations. The company has a detailed, phased strategy to install new technologies like electric boilers, industrial-scale heat pumps, and thermal salt batteries before the end of the decade. Vicinity can immediately green the steam that serves customers throughout our system by making these investments at our central facilities, especially as renewable electricity access becomes even more widespread.
Meet The Federal Building Performance Standard With District Energy
Vicinity's systems can help you instantly meet the requirements set by Biden's Building Performance Standard (BPS) while benefiting from the efficient, sustainable, and reliable service district energy provides.
What can eSteam™ offer you?
eSteam™ offers maximum flexibility in selecting net zero-carbon energy sources while enjoying superior economic benefits versus other alternatives.
- Choice and Flexibility – You choose how much eSteam™ you want and the carbon-neutral electricity source to generate it
- Lower Cost – eSteam™ is the most cost-effective, affordable option to green your building compared to alternatives, like electric boilers in your building
- Meet Emissions Standards – district energy can help your commercial building meet local and federal building performance standards
- Lower Capital – Eliminate the challenge of converting individual buildings. eSteam™ is the faster, more cost-effective, and less capital-intensive option than building retrofits under mandates
- Lower Risk and Maintenance – Transfer capital risk to Vicinity and enjoy headache-free energy
- Reliability – Depend on reliable energy delivery. Rest assured that Vicinity can easily fuel switch to avoid any interruptions.
- Certifications – Achieve potential points for LEED and ENERGY STAR certification, and avoid looming carbon taxes
Articles, case studies, datasheets, videos, white papers, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions
No. Electrification will not affect customers unless they choose to purchase electrified steam, known as eSteam™. There will be no changes in pricing from Vicinity’s electrification efforts. In the near term, if customers purchase eSteam™, the price will be different than steam generated from fossil fuels. However, our offer will be much more cost-effective than other electrifying alternatives. Because we operate at economies of scale, we can offer our customers the best pricing possible. We aim to manage affordability and sustainability on behalf of our customers.
eSteam™ is Vicinity’s unique and innovative carbon-free renewable energy product. eSteam™ offers maximum flexibility and superior economic benefits compared to alternative onsite solutions. Vicinity uses carbon-free, renewable electricity to generate eSteam™, providing rapid decarbonization for commercial and institutional buildings in city centers.
To generate and deliver eSteam™, Vicinity is electrifying its operations by installing electric boilers, industrial-scale heat pumps, and thermal battery storage. Vicinity will procure electricity from renewable, carbon-neutral energy sources like wind, solar, and hydro. Leveraging our existing network of underground pipes, we will deliver eSteam™ to our customers without any effort.
Electrification will enable Vicinity to generate steam with a zero-carbon emissions factor. This means that the eSteam™ energy you purchase from Vicinity is clean and sustainable. By using eSteam™, our customers will be able to enjoy many benefits, including
- Carbon-free: eSteam™ is a carbon-free renewable energy product for rapid decarbonization
- Maximum flexibility: Customers choose how much eSteam™ they want to use and the carbon-free electricity source
- Superior economics: eSteam™ is the most affordable option to decarbonize your building compared to onsite alternatives
- Maximum resiliency: Vicinity’s operational flexibility means that we can switch fuel and generating sources to avoid interruptions